Saturday, June 7, 2008

A good thought but one that is all fantasy baseball geekness:

Reading about fantasy baseball - as usual, I think most of it is over-commissioning (I'm the king of laissez-faire commissioning actually - which should make Briggs happy), but I kind of liked this idea a little bit:

From reader E.S.:

Our league (New England Sharks Fantasy Baseball) is a draft-based long-term keeper league with a great incentive for avoiding last place. At each year’s draft, after the beer has begun to flow, but before the picks start, the last place team is renamed by the other owners in a nomination and voting process. (It should go without saying, the viler the proposals, the more enthusiastically they are received). The proud owner is required to refer to his team as the "2006 last-place XXXs" in all communications with other owners for the rest of the year. If they make it out of the cellar, they can get their team name back at the next draft.

The shame and penalty aspect of last week's article probably drew the most responses. I thought that this was the most unique out of those. It might not be the most effective of the bunch in curbing dump trades, but it certainly would inspire me not to finish last.


I mean, I thought about how much I would hate not being able to be the Blue Ward Cyclones - it was almost painful. Or to have a team like the Crab Queens. The Squirrels of Anger however, are just fucked.

2 comments:

Smiff said...

The Suckiest Bunch of Sucks That Ever Sucked. Does that fit?

Fungster said...

Methinks Yahoo limits to 20 chars, so try again...