Friday, July 18, 2008

We see nothing

The Federal Defense of Marriage Act will prevent 2010 census takers from taking into account married gay couples and married gay families. Hmm. State law regulates marriage. Unfortunately, the Old Testament regulates Federal law, and Federal law can preempt state law. (It really doesn't on the topic of marriage, but what the heck - right?). Gay families who are legally married will be reclassified as unmarried. Gay families with biologically unrelated children will not be classified as families. Gay parents with biologically related children will be classified as single parent families.
*
Of course refusing to see reality is priceless. The report doesn't ask about sexuality, but for now all gay married couples will still be counted/viewed as either unmarried, outraging the right, single parents, outraging the right or worst of all two gay adults who happen to be living with some kids - who probably need to be removed. And because the census controls how money flows - the failure to recognize reality will have some kind of monetary effect.
*
I for one plan on refusing to report to the census my marital status. I may just refuse to respond to any question other than with a nasty letter. This is stupid beyond recognition. I figure the god of the Old Testament wouldn't recognize me being married anyway, what me constantly preaching heresy and blaspheming and everything, and ignoring probably the majority of the 10 Commandments. I'll have to look those up and figure that one out. I encourage others to do the same if you so choose (and to possibly entice other like minded individuals). It's not as hardcore as refusing to pay taxes, but I don't think they throw you in jail for it either. If I could switch to a civil union I would do it. God has nothing to do with my marriage.

2 comments:

k-mad said...

State law regulates marriage. Unfortunately, the Old Testament regulates Federal law, and Federal law can preempt state law.

That actually clears up a lot of my confusion, puzzlement, sadness, etc.

Sarge said...

Doesn't Old Testament ok slavery and genocide as well?

I am puzzled. Sad.