Thursday, July 24, 2008

The next wave in advertising

Ok, so I was on the facebooks, playing that one game I play quite often (Sarge, really, this is ridiculous - you have until next monday, udderwise it's going as a loss). Anyway, this game has ads in it, and for one of the ads, they took a picture of one of my "friends" and her name and put it into the ad. I think it was for some sort of movie or something. Then later, I think it was a variation on the message, but this time they used another friend. Now, I don't know if buried in the usage agreement we never read before we signed up there's a paragraph saying "oh yeah, advertisers can use your face and name to advertise to your friends without you knowing and without you getting anything out of it" but if there is I'd be mighty miffed. Here's annudder thing. I have my year of birth blocked, though of course da lords at Facebook know what it is. However, there's annudder ad dat comes up that refers to how old I am. So maybe it's an automated thing and the advertisers actually can't see how old I am, but again dis is a little frightening. I may have to do a bit more digging into this one...

2 comments:

Ranger said...

It damn well better be in the agreement. "Appropriation of Plaintiff's Picture or Name" is a tort. There is one element - Unauthorized use by defendant of plaintiff's picture or name for defendant's commercial advantage.

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure this Fungster is an old man! He sure is crabby!