Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Die! Die! Die!

The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that child rapists are not subject to the death penalty. Of course a certain conservative jurists said that some states really want to kill child rapists and that perhaps we are shifting course on this issue. Kennedy wrote the decision finding that it constituted cruel and unusual punishment.

As always - my issue is - is the death penalty actually punishment? I never thought so, still don't. I mean it can be an effective deterrent, though I think usually criminals can't do a thorough cost-benefit analysis or think they won't get caught. But what part of it is punishment? I mean, you are dead. I suppose not being alive is like a punishment, but you don't really get to experience it. Now being alive and a child rapist and in jail. That is a punishment that I could only wish on a child rapist.

No comments: