Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Barbara Ann

Was I the only one who found much of last night's debate unwatchable? For most of it I don't think either candidate did a particularly good job. Sure I agree with Obama's policies, but for most of the time last night he seem to be throwing too many telegraphed punches at Bush, the Republicans, and muddling where he might have had better thought out attacks at McCain. Only with respect to the "Bomb Iran" issue did I think he made the kind of direct and stinging assault against the illogic of McCain's "talk softly but carry a big stick" argument.

I don't think McCain made any major errors, though he continues to amaze me with his failure to show any humanity towards Obama. I suppose that may be called for when some of your support believes that your opponent is (1) a Manchurian candidate (2) a closet Muslim (3) colored (4) the anti-Christ or all of the above. I must admit though I like the wink and nod McCain doctrine - (sure we are willing to bomb anyone, anytime, anywhere) we just aren't going to talk about bombing anyone - that would be wrong. I mean it worked for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Better to be duplicitous and bellicose. [Ed: this means lie and fight - Sarah].

I just found myself thinking - I'd rather be reading policy papers from both candidates than enduring this junk.

1 comment:

Smiff said...

I agree mostly, though it might help if all of the "moderators" didn't SUCK. Brokaw was AWFUL. He was acting like someone else was moderating the thing. You don't like long answers? Cut them off instead of whining about it incessently.

Not expecting anything better with Bob Schieffer...