Sunday, May 18, 2008

LoC Goes Global

Well, you could argue that that happened the second I became a contributer. But this is probably the first post from outside those United States. From where? An internet cafe somewhere in the middle of Bulgaria. So, Fung will be reporting whenever he can, embedded deep in Allied territory.

Differences so far? Well, there are even less darkies over here. I think I've seen 1 darky so far. Den dere's dat pesky Cyrillian alphabet dat everything's written in. It's bad enuff not to be able to understand people, but not to be able to read signs as well? Reminds me of Japan, well, not quite, I can read half the letters, then the other half I can read but they're not the same, and then others we don't have. For example, they had a sign for a product called Nivea Hobo. Now, you'd wonder why hobo's would need skin care. Apparently though, an H here is an N, and a B is a V, so it actually says Nivea Novo. I liked it better my way.

In America, we like to humiliate our smoking pals by sending them outside to drag on the sin sticks they so love. In Munich's airport, they went one step further. They built a glass smoker's cage in the middle of the terminal. Smokers can go in and smoke while all us non smoker's can gawk at them from outside. I'll post a picture of said cage when I can get it off the camera. In Bulgaria though, the smokers are everywhere, and you can't get away from them. I've inhaled more cigarette smoke in 3 days than probably over the past year.

More thoughts as I get more Internet access along the way...

2 comments:

Sarge said...

Fung - please tell Quinny I love and miss him.

Thank you for your field report - I know it's hard without Railroad Tycoon and the Star Trek game - but you're doing great.

Fungster said...

Quinny says he misses you too, and is sad that you didn't come to visit. Now he's out of vacation days. As for me, I'm surviving. Somehow. Don't ask me how, but I'm keeping it together.