Friday, October 2, 2009

Universal Coverage

Heard an anti-health care reform advert tonight. 50 million additional patients with no new doctors. Ergo, reform will result in rationing and diminished health care for all.

Isn't this an argument for more doctors rather than less health care? Unless you are of course you are making the somewhat more philosophical argument that distribution of resources in any system are imperfect and because health care is a resource, some people just aren't going to get it and are going to die and that's okay. I'll accept that argument to a point but 50 million seems a little high to me. Plus I would argue (1) making sure your neighbor doesn't get swine flu and give it to you is probably a good thing and (2) If I found myself with potentially terminal cancer with no insurance, no money and in need of medical care in a country that encourages massive inequities in wealth and gun ownership and has a capable prison medical system, that would be a pretty easy decision for me.

Not to mention I guess with not enough doctors for the 50 million people the Republicans don't see a way to help now, it's sure a good thing we are aborting all those babies, god forbid we have another 1 or 10 million more that we don't have doctors for - we can't simply get more doctors.

I guess I need to go back and read the bible. Thousands of uninsured dying are just God's will. That's the new health insurance.

No comments: