Monday, January 12, 2009

worrying that this didn't generate a good LoC rant yet

"Let’s get this straight from the start: When it comes to my Hall of Fame ballot, I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt. I don’t want to be a curmudgeon with a ridiculously high standard — not when the standard for election is 75 percent.

So, by design, I have decided that if I can make a good case for a player, I am going to vote for him.

Sometimes I surprise even myself. I did it this year, checking eight names the first day I considered the ballot and going back to add a ninth just before putting it in the mail. That would be Mark Grace, the guy who sometimes seemed as much a politician as a player during his 13 seasons as the Cubs’ first baseman.

He didn’t hit for power, which is the first thing most people look for in a first baseman. But otherwise he was terrific: .303 career average, more than 11/2 walks for every strikeout, elite fielding skills, leadership in the clubhouse. He led the majors in hits in the 1990s, with 180-plus in seven of those seasons.
"

7 comments:

Smiff said...

Where did this appear? I don't see it at the Tribune. I want to see if Drool Cup voted for Andre Dawson or Jack Morris.

Smiff said...

I see he got 22 votes and is now off the ballot.

Bert Blyleven: Phokk You, Dutch Boy.

Jason said...

I Googled that for you, Smiff. (And you're a librarian?)

Smiff said...

Google? That's cheating. I only use books and indexes. Yes, i see Mr. Drool-Cup voted for Dawson and Morris AND Harold Baines, as well as Bert Blyleven, Jim Rice, Alan Trammell & Tim Raines (all good picks).

k-mad said...

Full Trib brain trust votes, for Smiff's evisceration recreation.

Smiff said...

Oh boy, sm i going to eviscerate this later.

k-mad said...

As Ray "Bones" Barboni said while pounding the crap out of Harry Zimm in Get Shorty:

You know, Harry, this is the exact phokking thing I needed after the phokking plane flight. My ass fell asleep . . . (kick) . . . seven times. I need a little phokking . . . (kick) . . . exercise. . . (Harry tries to push himself to his feet, but Ray Bones stomps on Harry's hands . . . breaking them . . . and Harry falls back down . . . ).